9/05/2008

Monkey Bread

aka Applesauce Banana Bread

Delicious very moist bread, even better the day after making. You can mix-and-match different bonus ingredients. The first time I used dried cranberries and dark chocolate pieces. The next time dried apricot pieces and walnuts. YUMMO!

Next time I'm thinking of adding shredded carrot and raisins, or zucchini and walnuts, served toasted with low-fat cream cheese and you have a delic carrot or zucchini cake version. And great for my soon to be 2 year old nieces.

4 bananas, ripe
3/4 cup Splenda
1/2 cup+ applesauce (I make it from scratch using a large apple, recipe below)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp baking soda
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cup flour (1 c all-purpose & 1 c whole-wheat)
bonus: 1/2 cup to 1 cup crasins, walnuts, chocolate pieces, dried fruit

1. Preheat oven to 350 F and spray 2 9x5 loaf pans.
2. Mash bananas in large bowl and stir in Splenda. Let stand 15 minutes.
3. Mix in applesauce and eggs.
4. In separate bowl, combine dry ingredients
5. Slowly add dry mix to banana mixture and mix well. Add bonus ingredients.
6. Pour into pans and bake for 45 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before removing from pan, cool on wire rack.


*Homemade Applesauce*
1. Peel and dice a large apple.
2. Microwave 3 min in a small bowl.
3. Blend apple (I use my Magic Bullet).

Viola! Homemade applesauce.

2 comments:

chicaglo said...

Step 2: Do you microwave apples in liquid or dry? Step 3: Do you blend with liquid or dry?

buzzcoffee said...

I peel and dice the apple and microwave it 3 minutes in a small microwave safe bowl with no liquid. I then blend it about a minute in my Magic Bullet also with no liquid. The apple tends to be juicy so it doesn't need extra liquid. Same when I do pear sauce. I also like mixing in other fruits such as a couple of strawberries or a few pieces of pineapple. Easy, healthy and so yummy.